Monday, December 22, 2008

The Day's Out to Insadong

We have the intention of going to the departments stores but we ended up in Insadong. ^.^

Insadong is a district of the South Korean City of Seoul.

The main street is Insadong-gil which is connected to a multitude of alleys that lead deeper into the district.

The notable features of Insadong are the countless alleys that branch out from the main street. Insadong was once known as ‘Mary’s Alley’ and is a favorite shopping spot among foreigners.

Over forty percent of the nation’s antique stores are in Insadong.

The antiques sold tend to be more valuable than those sold on other art streets in Korea.

Most of the stores sell old books, pictures and calligraphy.

Among the antiques are old pictures, pottery, wooden containers and jewelry.

Insadong is visited by many foreign visitors from Japan, China, France, the United States, and other countries.

It's not bad to walk on a sunny day.

This area is full of restaurants worth visiting.

Walking for a while you can see Bosingak.

There is a huge bell that was rung to announce the time several times a day and to signal the opening and closing of the city gates. It was also used as a fire alarm.

In modern times, the bell is rung only at midnight on New Year's Eve because of the massive number of people who attend this ceremony.

Samsung Securities Building. Landmark of Jongro-gu.

There are several ways to go to Insadong from here.

We decided to use an alley instead of the main street.

Here we go! Insadong. We can always feel the warmth.

Many seals. To me they are very exotic.

Insadong has so many interesting things.

Now we arrive at a place called Ssamzie gil.

One of the well-known places to meet someone in Korea.

What is this?

My hubby says it was a love letter found in a grave that was written 400 years ago.

This is original. Amazing!

One hour ago, I wrote an e-mail to my hubby.

After we are gone, can google find that? -_-;;

Please do!

Inside Ssmazie gil. Very unique structures.

Good for eye shopping.

In Korea, most people have their own dslr camera. Really! I even have my own!

Someday, I will be posting about that.

Anyway, what are they shooting?

In front of Ssamzie gil.

A very exotic scene to me.

Everything is red.

Wow! A free concert. Enjoy for a while.

There are many small antique shops.

I like to see this. But I will never buy...;;;
As for someone who worked in retail, I hate this customer.^^

There are people who can feel the same things.

Insects collections?

Its nice to shoot. But where can we use this?

Kittens. Very cute....

Handmade. Maybe for the cellphone?

Small mums. I like it!

Art gallery.

In front of the gallery, there is a dumpling shop. Very good. I must visit. hehe~
Inside the gallery. We can enjoy the tea.

A quilt work. How can we make this by hand?

Enjoy the late autumn. (I visited before it got cold!)

Something very...artistic...?

Insa gallery.

Small pottery shop.

I do not know why but I feel comfortable.


When you visit Seoul,

Many people recommend Insadong.
There is a reason for that.
Prepare a small camera and enjoy it.
Night time, you can see all kinds of lights in here.